Casa 207 Azor
|Casa 207 T7-17 is one of two on show at the Museo del Aire in Madrid, Spain|
|The Azor was the third twin-engined transport type built by the
Spanish Casa company after World War II.
The first, the 201 Alcotan, flew in February 1949 and with its tailwheel design resembled the British Vickers Viking. A total of 112 production examples powered by Armstrong Siddelely Cheetah radial piston engines were built for the Spanish Air Force under the designation T5.
From the Alcotan, Casa developed the 202 Halcon, or T6, which featured a nosewheel undercarriage and Elizalde radial pistons. The type first flew in May 1953 and 20 were ordered for the air force with accommodation for a crew of three and 14 passengers.
The 207 Azor was basically a scaled up version of the Halcon and first flew on September 28, 1955, as a contender for the domestic civil market.
With types such as the Avro 748 and Fokker F27 then under development the twin Bristol Hercules radial piston powerplant of the Azor meant it was already obsolete. However, it was rescued from total obscurity by the air force, which eventually operated 22, including the two prototypes.
The type entered service in 1960 with the military designation T7A and featured a crew of four and space for 40 passengers. Two of the first ten were fitted experimentally with Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp engines.
The second batch of ten were designated 207Cs, or T7Bs and featured large cargo doors at the rear of the fuselage and space for 37 paratroopers.
In the early 1970s, Casa proposed a four-turboprop STOL aircraft, the 401, to replace the Azor but this was dropped in favour of the smaller 212 Aviocar. The type served on into the 1980s at Madrid's Getafe air base. All the surviving aircraft are in Spain, either preserved or derelict. None are airworthy.
|Contents||Photos and census||Update|